Information To Digital Forensics
Some the reason why we have to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To collect evidences in order that it may be used in courtroom to unravel authorized cases. 2. To research our network strength, and to fill the safety hole with patches and fixes. 3. To recuperate deleted files or any information within the event of hardware or software program failure
In computer forensics, crucial things that must be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The unique evidence must not be altered in anyways, and to do conduct the process, forensic investigator should make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a bit by bit copy of the unique storage medium and precise copy of the unique media. The distinction between a bit-stream image and regular copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack house within the storage. You will not find any slack space data on a replica media.
2. All forensic processes must comply with the legal laws in corresponding nation the place the crimes happened. Each country has different law suit in IT field. Some take IT guidelines very seriously, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can solely be carried out after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would usually wanting at the timeline of how the crimes happened in well timed manner. With that, we are able to produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes may happened. In a big firm, it's prompt to create a Digital Forensic Team or First Responder Staff, in order that the corporate might still preserve the proof till the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response rules are: 1. On no account should anybody, except for Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to recuperate information from any computer system or machine that holds digital information. 2. Any attempt to retrieve the data by person stated in number 1, should be prevented because it may compromise the integrity of the proof, through which became inadmissible in authorized court.
Based on that guidelines, it has already defined the essential roles of having a First Responder Group in a company. The unqualified particular person can only secure the perimeter in order that no one can contact the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This can be finished by taking picture of the crime scene. They'll also make notes in regards to the scene and who had been present at that time.
Steps should be taken when a digital crimes happenred in knowledgeable manner: 1. Secure the crime scene until the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from local authorities or firm's management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take a picture of the crime scene in case of if there is no such thing as a any photographs has been taken.
4. If the computer continues to be powered on, don't turned off the computer. As an alternative, used a forensic tools akin to Helix to get some info that can solely be found when the computer remains to be powered on, such as information on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it is particular perform as to not write anything back to the system so the integrity keep intake.
5. As soon as all live evidence is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All of the evidences must be documented, during which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody preserve data on the proof, equivalent to: who has the evidence for the final time.
7. Securing the evidence have to be accompanied by authorized officer comparable to police as a formality.
8. Back within the lab, chilliwack Forensic Analyst take the proof to create bit-stream image, as original evidence should not be used. Usually, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. In fact Chain of Custody nonetheless used on this scenario to keep records of the evidence.
9. Hash of the unique proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that original proof and the bit-stream image is the precise copy. So any alteration on the bit image will result in totally different hash, which makes the evidences found turn into inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst begins to seek out evidence within the bit-stream image by rigorously looking on the corresponding location is determined by what sort of crime has happened. For example: Momentary Internet Recordsdata, Slack Area, Deleted File, Steganography files.